Drilling fluid(mud) is an important component in the drilling process. The drilling fluids(mud) performance very important functions in oil gas drilling,and HDD(Horizontal directional drillling).
- Remove cuttings from well
- Suspend and release cuttings
- Control formation pressures
- Seal permeable formations
- Maintain wellbore stability
- Cool, lubricate and support the bit and drilling assembly
- Transmit hydraulic energy to tools and bit
- Ensure adequate formation evaluation
- Control corrosion (in acceptable level)
- Facilitate cementing and completion
- Minimize impact on environment
Drilling fluids(mud) system function is for cleaning drilling mud,and recycling drilling fluids.
There are several types of drilling fluids used depending on the drilling conditions encountered:
* Water-based muds are used most frequently. The base may be either:
o fresh water, or
o salt water.
* Oil-based muds.
* Synthetic materials. The oil and gas extraction industry has developed many new oleaginous (oil-like) base materials from which to formulate high-performance drilling fluids.
A general class of these fluids is called synthetic materials, such as
o The vegetable esters,
o Poly alpha olefins,
o Internal olefins,
o Linear alpha olefins,
o Synthetic paraffins,
o Ethers, and
o Linear alkylbenzenes, among others.
* Air and foam fluids may be used in drilling wells.
o These fluids are less dense than drilling muds.